Each team must consist of a minimum of 2 players and a maximum of 4 players, 21 years of age or older. Teams may consist of all males, all females, or co-ed. Teams who have more than 2 players may rotate players between rounds. If a teammate is absent, one substitute can be recruited to play (only during regular session games) or the player may play alone. A team playing with only one player will start each game with a 0-5 score.
The Bocce court is approximately 60 feet long and 12 feet wide.
C’ville Social provides all the equipment. This consists of 8 Official C’ville Social Bocce balls and 1 pallino (smaller target ball) 4 balls are one color and 4 are a different color.
There will be a referee managing game play and questions; however, each game and match will be self-scored and then reported to the referee. Team captains must be cordial and agree on scores.
- League shirts will be provided and are your team’s uniform. They must be worn during league play.
- For honors (the team that tosses first), Rock, Paper, Scissors will be played (best 2 out of 3 shoots).
- To start the game, have a player from the starting team stand behind the foul line (which is 10 feet from the throwing end of the court) and throw the small ball, or “pallino” toward the opposite end of the playing surface.
- The same person who tossed the Pallino then throws their Bocce ball trying to get it closest to the Pallino without touching it.
- The next team then throws one ball trying to get closer than the first team. If team two gets closer, then it is Team one’s turn. If Team two’s ball does not come closer, then they continue to throw until they get a ball closer to the Pallino or until they are out of balls. Then Team one throws the remainder of their bocce balls. REMEMBER: You can knock your opponent’s balls away from the Pallino to increase your score.
- The team with the closest ball gets one point for each of its balls that are closer to the Pallino than the other team’s closest ball.
- Keep in mind that if the two teams’ closest balls are an equal distance from the pallino, no points are awarded.
- End the frame after all eight balls have been thrown and appropriate points have been awarded. The scoring team begins the next frame. If no team previously scored, the team that threw the pallino last begins the next frame.
When all balls have been thrown, the teams shall proceed to measure the distance of the bocce balls from the pallino. Each team’s ball that is closer to the pallino than the nearest ball of the opposing team, scores 1 point. Games are played to a set point, in this case 15.
FOULS & ZERO POINTS
- If the thrower crosses the foul line and tosses, they lose that toss, and the ball is removed from the court.
- If someone tosses out of turn, they lose that toss, and the ball is removed from the court.
- If a player moves one or more of his team’s balls, it or they are removed from the court and considered dead and play continues.
- If a player moves one or more of his opponent’s balls, those balls are removed and awarded one point each and play continues. Only one team is awarded points, so only the team fouled against can be awarded points.
- If a player illegally moves the pallino during the frame, the team fouled against will be awarded as many points as the number of balls that team has already played that frame, and the frame will be ended at the point.
Teams forfeiting two nights of play in one season are eligible to be removed from the league with no refund. Teams that forfeit their third night of play will automatically be removed from the league with no refund. Teams are encouraged to send at least one player or contact C’ville Social’s office to inform us you will be forfeiting.
- Head to head results.
- The least amount of forfeits.
- The least amount of games lost.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors, best 2 out of 3 shoots.
PLAYER WAIVER & RELEASE FORM
Every player must complete the Player Registration Form prior to the first scheduled game of the season. Any team that has not submitted all their player waivers by that time will have its scheduled games declared a “forfeit” until all waiver forms are received. If a player fails to submit their online player waiver & release waiver form, all liability and legal issues will be the responsibility of the team captain. Fairfax Athletics will not be responsible for players that do not submit an online player waiver & release form.
Players may be listed only on one team’s roster per season throughout that league night. For a player to be considered “playoff eligible” (eligible to participate in the playoffs), he/she must be listed on a team’s roster and must have played in a minimum of two regular season games for that team.
C’ville Social CODE OF CONDUCT
- Understand, appreciate and abide by the rules of the game.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials and C’ville Social staff.
- Respect your opponent and congratulate them in a courteous manner following each match whether in victory or defeat.
- Be responsible for your actions and maintain self-control.
- Do not taunt or bait opponents and refrain from using foul or abusive language.
C’ville Social reserves the right to suspend any player at any time for unsportsmanlike conduct, violation of any rules, for failure to pay appropriate dues or for being disruptive, without any refund. Any team wishing to suspend any member for just reasons, must do so on their own, and provide C’ville Social a written reason as to why. Again, no refunds will be issued. At the discretion of C’ville Social, any member suspended may not in the future be allowed to participate in any further C’ville Social events.